Our schedule is posted below. Please check back often to check for updates.
Special offers for PWA members from MidCoast Kayak (Damariscotta) and Maine Kayak (New Harbor) ... more information here.
IMPORTANT: PWA recognizes that there may be some element of risk in any outdoor activity, and requests that all paddlers have a signed PWA Paddlers Release Form on file in the PWA office. Please download and print the form and bring it to the first paddling event that you attend. The trip leader also will have blank forms available. The release form does not expire, so it only needs to be submitted one time.
2013 PWA Paddlers Schedule – May Through October
The 9th season of the PWA Paddlers includes 19 paddles on Saturday mornings from May 25 to September 28. The paddling trips explore waterways throughout the Pemaquid/Mid-Coast region, and this year most are ocean paddles. Trips are designed to be easy to moderate in difficulty and will be cancelled if raining. Participation is free and open to the public. Participants must provide their own kayak or canoe, wear a personal flotation device, and submit a standard release form prior to participation (once for season, or already on file in the PWA office). Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. FMI, contact Peter Lawrence at (207) 563-7663, (207) 563-3104, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PWA Paddles are free and the public is welcome to participate in these trips. Most paddles commence at 10 AM on Saturday, except where noted below, and last approximately 2-3 hours or as noted. Paddlers must provide their own kayak or canoe, wear a personal flotation device (life jacket) and provide appropriate safety gear. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. All paddlers participating in PWA trips are responsible for their own safety and each participant should determine in advance if conditions are suitable for their skill level. For weather cancellation information, Peter Lawrence may be contacted at 563-7663, 563-3104 or email@example.com.
• Saturday 5/25, 10 AM - Pemaquid River from Bristol Mills to Biscay Pond – Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 130 South approx. 5.5 miles to the Bristol Mills boat launch (just before the swimming hole and dam); very serene with abundant wildlife. Public rest room; duration 2 hours; optional lunch at the Bristol Diner.
• Saturday 6/1, 10 AM - Weskeag (Gig) River Estuary, Thomaston –Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Take Route 1 North to Thomaston. Proceed through town to 2nd traffic light at bottom of small downgrade. Turn right on Route 131 going past Montpellier mansion on left. Proceed several miles passing RR tracks and “Hoggy’s gas station on right. Shortly thereafter turn left onto Westbrook Road and follow it for 1.9 miles to a “T” intersection with Route 73. Go left across the bridge with the put in across from the reversing falls, Art of the Sea and the Gig store. Porta-potty available; duration 2 ½ hours; optional lunch at a local restaurant.
• Saturday 6/8, 10 AM - Burnt Island/Boothbay Harbor - Advisory: this trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 27 south 9.6 miles to the monument in Boothbay. Bear right onto Lakeside Drive leaving the monument on your left. Follow Lakeside past Back River Road at the monument; bear left, then right at the next 2 forks; follow several miles until the stop sign at route 27. Cross Route 27 and continue a quarter mile to the town launching ramp on the right. You may have to park on the main road after dropping off your kayak. The duration of the paddle will be 3 hours to include a picnic lunch (bring your own) on Burnt Island where there is a public rest room.
• Saturday 6/15, 10 AM - East Boothbay/Linekin Bay to Cabbage and Negro Islands - Advisory: this trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Take Route 27 south from Route 1 toward Boothbay/Boothbay Harbor for approx. 11 miles to route 96 (Ocean Point Rd.) on your left. Follow Route 96 for approx. 2 1/2 miles taking a right turn just past the grocery market on your right onto Murray Hill Road. The put in is a short distance down the road on the left; no public rest room; duration 3 hours; optional lunch at the Lobsterman’s Wharf restaurant.
• Saturday 6/22, 10 AM - Oyster River, Thomaston - Directions: From the south, proceed north on Route 1 passing the intersection with Route 90 on your left. Stay on Route 1 toward Thomaston proceeding 3.5 miles to the big bridge over the St. George River; Immediately after the bridge on the right is Tibbetts Marine where we will put in. From the north, proceed through Thomaston on Route 1 passing Route 131 on the right. Continue 0.6 miles to the bridge across the river. Just before the bridge is Tibbetts Marine on your left. Total paddle length is about 5 miles going both upriver and down in serene, uninhabited areas loaded with eagles and herons; duration 2 ½ hours, no public toilet facilities, optional lunch at a local restaurant.
• Saturday 6/29, 10 AM - Five Islands, Georgetown Island or Cozy Harbor area, Southport, depending on the sea condition. Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 1 South to Route 27 on your left in North Edgecomb. Follow Route 27 through Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor into Southport over the bridge. Turn right off Route 27 after the fire house and between the monument and the general store. After the store, fork left onto Shore Road and proceed half a mile to the Lighthouse Beach where there is parking and where we will put-in. The duration of the paddle will be 2 ½ to 3 hours with optional lunch at the general store or a lunch place at Cozy Harbor; porta-potty at general store but no facilities at beach.
• Saturday 7/6, 10 AM - Outer Thrumcap Island, South Bristol - Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Damariscotta take routes 129/130 south for approximately 3 miles. Route 129 will split off to the right at Hanley’s Market/Gas Station. Follow route 129 into South Bristol and cross over the swing bridge. Go 1.8 miles, with tennis courts on your right, to the fork in the road bearing right and immediately turn right onto Sand Cove Road. The put in is just down the road with parking on the left. No public rest room. The duration of the paddle will be 3 hours with picnic lunch on the island (bring your own).
• Saturday 7/13 10 AM - Boothbay/Indiantown, Powderhorn, Spectacle Island Area – Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Take Route 27 from Route 1 toward Boothbay for 9.6 miles to the monument in Boothbay. Bear right at the monument onto Barter’s Island Road for 1.75 miles and then a left over the bridge to the Knickercane boat launch on the right. Public rest room; duration 3 hours; optional lunch at the Trevett Country Store.
• Saturday 7/20, 9 AM - Pemaquid Harbor Historic Paddle – Advisory: this trip involves some ocean paddling. The PWA Paddlers will join the Old Bristol Historical Society in a narrated historical paddle from the put in at Pemaquid Falls down the tidal part of the Pemaquid River pass Fort William Henry to Little Beach at Fish Point where the paddle ends with a historical presentation. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 130 South 9.6 miles and turn right (just before Hammond Lumber) onto Harrington Road and take an immediate left down Town Landing road to the put in on the Pemaquid River. Transportation will be provided by OBHS back to the put in from Fish Point to pick up your vehicle. Optional lunch at the Contended Sole at Fort William Henry/Colonial Pemaquid. The paddle, to include the presentation, will be 3 hours.
• Saturday 7/27, 10 AM - Muscongus Sound, Bremen to Hog and Oar Islands –Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Route 1 in Waldoboro turn onto Route 32 south at Hannaford’s. Follow for 7.1 miles past the Bremen Town Office turning left onto Medomak Road and follow it to Broad Cove Marine. Park along the road, not in the Broad Cove Marine Parking area; trip duration 3 hours; optional lunch at Broad Cove Marine restaurant where there are rest rooms.
• Saturday 8/3, 9 AM - Hatchet Cove, Friendship - Advisory: this trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 1 North to Route 220 South in Waldoboro, which becomes the Friendship Road. Proceed about 9 miles passing Friendship Scoop on your left to Martin Point Road on your right at the museum. (If you miss Martin Point Road you will end up on the main street of Friendship – turn around). Turn right on Martin Point Road; the put in is about 1/8th mile on your left and is marked. Park along put in road off to the sides; no public rest room; trip duration 3 hours; optional lunch at the Narrows Tavern in Waldoboro.
• Saturday 8/10, 10 AM - Bradford Point, Friendship to Cranberry Island – Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Take Route 220 South into Friendship to Route 97. Turn left and take your first right past the fire station and Community Center onto Bradford Road. About 1 mile down Bradford Road is the launch area. You can unload your gear and kayak there, but parking is very limited and is not allowed in the area. We have permission from a land owner to park on his property. You will be directed upon arriving at the launch site. The duration of the paddle will be three hours with picnic lunch (bring your own) on the island. No public rest rooms.
• Saturday 8/17, 10 AM - Muscongus Sound, Waldoboro to Hungry Island – Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 1 North to Route 32 South in Waldoboro at Hannaford’s. Go right down Route 32 approx. 2 1/2 miles to Dutch Neck Road on your left. Follow Dutch Neck Road 2.8 miles to a faded “Boat Landing” sign on your left just prior to the Osborn Finch preserve. Turn left and you will see the parking area on your right a short distance down the road. The duration of the paddle will be 3 hours. Picnic lunch on Hungry Island (bring your own). No public restrooms.
• Saturday 8/24, 9 AM - Circumnavigation of Rutherford Island – Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Refer to 7/6 directions for Outer Thrumcap Island as we will put-in at Sand Cove and proceed counter clockwise. The duration of the paddle will be 3 to 4 hours; no public rest room; optional lunch at Coveside Restaurant, Christmas Cove.
• Saturday 8/31, 10 AM - Witch Island from Pemaquid Harbor – Advisory: This trip involves ocean paddling. From the Pemaquid Harbor boat launch we will paddle around High Island to Witch Island, then through the Gut and back to Witch. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 130 (Bristol Road) for approx. 11 miles turning right onto Huddle Road to its end. Turn right and follow the signs for the Colonial Pemaquid boat launch. The duration of the paddle will be 3 hours including hiking the trails on the Island and picnic lunch (bring your own); public rest rooms at the Fort.
• Saturday 9/7, 10 AM - Muscongus Sound, Bremen to Hog, Louds, Indian and Thief Islands. Advisory: this trip involves ocean paddling. Directions: Take Route 32 South in Waldoboro at Hannaford’s (toward Round Pond) for about 10 1/2 miles turning left onto Muscongus Road (see sign for Midcoast Kayak Launch) to a private boat yard ($5 parking fee) on the right where we will put-in. If you go into Round Pond you’ve gone too far as Muscongus Road is 2 miles before Round Pond. The paddle duration will be 3 to 4 hours with picnic lunch (bring your own) on Thief Island. No public rest room.
• Saturday 9/14, 10 AM - Fort Island from East Boothbay. Advisory: This paddle involves strong river tidal currents. Directions: From Damariscotta take Route 1 South turning left onto Route 27 South (to Boothbay/Boothbay Harbor). Proceed on Route 27 for approx. 11 miles to Route 96 (Ocean Point Road) on your left. Follow Route 96 for approx. 3 ½ miles to East Boothbay Shipbuilders Park where we will put-in. The duration of the trip will be 4 hours with picnic lunch (bring your own) on the Island where there is also a porta-potty.
• Saturday 9/21, 10 AM - Tenants Harbor/Long Cove. Advisory: This paddle involves ocean paddling. Directions: From Route 1 North to Thomaston and then a right turn onto Route 131 South at the Knox/Montpelier mansion. Proceed for approx. 9 miles to Tenants Harbor taking a left turn down a lane several hundred feet beyond the general store to the launch area. Drop off your gear and kayak and park in the small public parking lot about half way up the lane. The duration of the paddle will be about 2 hours; public rest rooms; optional lunch at a local restaurant.
• Saturday 9/28, 10 AM - Biscay Pond to Pemaquid Pond - Directions: From Damariscotta proceed on Business Route 1B to Biscay Road (McDonalds on the corner). Travel about 3 miles passing Lessner Road and Biscay Pond Beach on your right over the bridge to Fogler Road on the right. Go about 1 mile down Fogler to Mary Berger’s home at #163. We will put in at Mary’s and have a cookout there (bring your own) at the end of the paddle when we will also celebrate Diane’s birthday. The paddle duration will be about 2 hours. This is the last scheduled paddle. See you next year.