The Bristol Dam Advisory Committee meets regularly at the Bristol Town Hall in Bristol Mills. Meeting dates are listed on the town’s website Bristol Maine by clicking on the calendar tab. The public is welcome to attend. Other information is provided on the town website.
The public is invited to a meeting on Tuesday, January 30 at 7 p.m. in the Bristol Consolidated School gym to hear about the Bristol Dam Advisory Committee report.
Among other information sources, there is a binder at the Bristol Town Hall for viewing onsite that contains all the materials relevant to the dam feasibility study.
To date, alternatives under study include:
- modification/repair of the dam and construction of a new concrete fishway,
- partial replacement of the dam with nature-like water control structures,
- full replacement of the dam with nature-like water control structures.
Each of these alternatives were chosen to provide:
- replication of current water surface levels in the upstream marsh and lakes,
- provision of firefighting water supply,
- accommodation for swimming
- improved fish passage to help recovery of the Pemaquid alewife run.
- Background: The Town of Bristol is addressing the future of the aging Bristol Dam and the fish passageway in Bristol Mills. Because the cost of repairing the dam and fish passageway is prohibitive, the Bristol Select Board has agreed to conduct a feasibility study to explore options for both structures. Any improvements to the dam will need to consider fish passageway.
- Wright Pierce Engineers made a proposal for a dam feasibility study to be funded by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) up to $30,000. The purpose of the study is to gather information, discern the impact of the current dam, and to propose various alternative scenarios to the dam which will keep the current benefits.
- The Bristol Dam Advisory Committee, a group of interested citizens, will conduct an informational stage, proceed to set the scope of the study, and then present a final report on the possible alternatives and the impacts of each.
For information about the Bristol Mills Dam Advisory Committee and the background, authority, charge and ‘deliverables’ click here Bristol Dam Advisory report
If you would like to read the minutes or watch a video of the meeting, visit the following websites: Bristol meeting minutes and LCTV Bristol Dam meeting Video.
A press release by the Committee is available here Bristol Mills Dam Advisory Committee Hosts Wetland Bird Expert.
PWA Provides Information on the Bristol Dam Study
PWA’s role is to provide information on the Bristol Dam study to members and the public.
PWA will continue to be committed to maintaining the water quality of the ponds and the health of the watershed along the Pemaquid River system in accordance with the PWA mission to conserve the natural resources of the Pemaquid peninsula region through land and water stewardship and education.